Sausages and beans don’t have to come straight out of a can! It is possible to make a healthy and tasty version of this classic that tastes wonderful with some sausages that have been cooked on the barbeque.
Plus they add a little sauce to the barbeque without feeling like you need a massive dollop of mayonnaise to make your barbeque complete.
Beans are a super food and you don’t need to spend hours soaking them or preparing them anymore as the tinned ready versions are still packed with nutrients and flavour and take the hassle out of using beans and lentils.
This is a really filling meal and one that every member of the family will enjoy either at a barbeque or cooked inside in the oven if the weather is not so friendly.
- 4 Reduced Fat Sausages
- 1 Tin Cannellini Beans
- 1 Tin Borlotti Beans
- 1 Tin Baked Beans
- 1 Jar Passata
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tsp Mixed Herbs
- 3 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
- Cook the sausages first, either on the barbeque, or on your grill in the kitchen
- Once the sausages are cooked then cut each one into quarters and set to one side
- Chop up the onion and place into a heavy bottomed cooking dish along with the sausages
- Add into the pot the tins of beans and the jar of Passata and a sprinkling of herbs
- Cook the mixture all together for about 5 minutes
- Add in the BBQ sauce to the mixture and stir well
- Leave the sausages and beans to cook for at least 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken up
Calories per serving: 340 calories