A cheese fondue recipe is a great way to eat with friends and this low calorie version can even be enjoyed on a 5:2 fast day as long as you keep your dipping foods healthy!
The best way to eat most vegetables is to eat them raw, this way all of the goodness, vitamins and minerals stay in the vegetables and are not lost through cooking – no matter how careful you are.
Raw vegetables may be good for us but it can be hard to find them inspiring and sitting down to a plate of vegetables alone is not the most appealing of meal ideas which is why having a cheese fondue recipe under your belt is a great addition to your cooking knowledge as you can combine all the goodness of raw vegetables with some creamy cheese dip to liven them up a little!
Most cheese fondue recipes are very heavy on the calories because they are made mostly with cheese (as you would expect!). However in this recipe I substitute some of the cheese for healthier cannelloni beans.
Cannelloni beans can be bought tinned from supermarkets and are ready to use. They are large white beans and when they are ground down they give a great creamy texture without a strong flavour to allow the cheese to do all the talking.
I try to use low fat cheese when possible to keep the calories down but if this is not possible then lessen the amount of cheese that you add and choose a strong flavoured cheese instead to keep the flavour strong.
The calorie count for this cheese fondue recipe does not include the foods that you dip into it so be careful not to go overboard with your choice here as you could end up going over your 5:2 fast day calorie limit!
- 225g Gruyere cheese
- 225g low fat Swiss cheese
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Black pepper to taste
- Begin by draining the cannellini and then top them whole into a food processor
- Add to the beans the garlic, mustard and the lemon juice and then blend until smooth
- Grate all of the cheese and set to one side
- In a heavy saucepan begin by heating the bean mixture on a medium heat until it begins to simmer
- Now add in the cheese a bit at a time to ensure that it melts evenly
- Once the mixture has melted totally, stir well and season with a little pepper
- Transfer the mixture to a fondue pot and serve with your choice of raw vegetables
Total calories per serving: 205 calories