A kebab is the perfect snack or main meal, especially during the summer months and this low calorie chicken and sausage kebab is the ideal solution for anyone on the 5:2 diet who is looking to be able to throw something on the barbecue!
It can be hard to find protein that is not too high in calories to eat on fast days on the 5:2 diet but I have come up with this great recipe for chicken and sausage kebabs that can be adapted to fit your own tastes and is super simple to make.
In the version below I have kept it simple by just creating chicken and sausage kebabs but there is no reason why you can’t add some cherry tomatoes to the skewers or some pieces of onion or even some courgette – whatever takes your fancy with this one really!
To make this into a low calorie main meal I pair up the kebabs with a large green leaf salad but leave out any dressing. If you are not on a fast day then add some healthy dressing to the salad to give it more of a kick.
This may be a low calorie option but it is so tasty that every member of the family will be eager for one of these chicken and sausage kebabs and if you don’t want to barbecue then just turn on your grill in the kitchen instead!
- 100g skinless chicken breasts
- 100g turkey sausages
- Green leaf salad
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Wooden skewers
- Prepare two wooden skewers by soaking them in water
- Cut up the chicken and the sausage into bite sized pieces
- Thread the meat onto the skewer alternating the sausage with the chicken
- Season with salt and pepper
- (At this point you can also thread on vegetables of your choice too)
- Place the skewers on the barbecue and cook until the juices run clear in the chicken
- Serve the skewers on a plate with a large green leaf salad
Total calories per serving – 298