I love any food cooked on the barbecue, there is something about that smokey flavour that is great at any time of the year, and just because you are on fast day on the 5:2 diet there is no reason why you can’t enjoy some gorgeous barbecued food.
I find that chicken breasts without the skin are a great way to enjoy low calorie meals and by using herbs and spices you can add any flavour you like.
When I am cooking low calorie food I always worry that will not be enough flavour but by simply adding good quality herbs, such as those in the Schwartz dried herb range, it is easy to keep calories low but flavours high!
Reduce the calorie count of this recipe by taking out the Tzatziki sauce or increase it slightly by adding a chunk of crusty bread.
Also if you wish to experiment further here are some new ones that I am planning on trying. What I love about other recipes sites, is the way that I can swap single cream and oil for some fat free natural yoghurt and make something naughty into a healthy meal. Just take the recipe below you could just as easily make it fattening by adding some olive oil instead! Not that I would as it tastes lovely as it is!
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp Schwartz dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken tenderloins
- 8 skewers
- Green leaf salad
- Tzatziki sauce
- Squeeze the juice of one of the lemons and pour into sandwich bag.
- Chop the garlic and add to the lemon juice with the olive oil, Schwartz dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the bag and then seal it, making sure that all of the chicken is covered with the mixture and that it is well mixed
- Leave the chicken to marinate for about 15 minutes
- Heat the barbecue (this can be cooked on a grill inside if you do not want to barbecue, just adjust cooking times accordingly) and cut the remaining lemon into 8 wedges
- Thread the chicken one onto each skewer and once the chicken has marinated add the chicken to the skewer also
- Place the kebabs onto the grill and cook, whilst turning, for around 5 minutes
- Serve the kebabs with the green leaf salad and a spoonful of Tzatziki sauce for each person
Total calories per serving – 210 calories