A colourful summer salad is delicious whether you are on a diet or not but this 5:2 Greek salad recipe has to be one of my favourites thanks to the simple ingredients and easy to make dressing.
There is no reason why any salad should be boring to eat, if you source the best possible ingredients and mix up your flavours and textures then it is possible to make a salad a stand out dish and this Greek salad recipe is one of those.
The combination of the bright red tomatoes, lush green lettuce, dark black olives and the creamy feta cheese makes this salad one that you will return to time and time again and thanks to all of the ingredients being easy to source it is also a good one for anyone on a budget.
This Greek salad recipe calls for you to make your own dressing and I really recommend that you take the time to do this as it literally takes about 30 seconds to put together and is so much more flavoursome than shop bought versions.
By making your own salad dressing you can also play about with the flavours a little to get it just to your liking. In this Greek salad recipe I use fresh oregano in the dressing but you could use any fresh herbs that you enjoy and use the same basic base of the oil and lemon juice to create many different variations that are equally yummy.
- 1 head of cos lettuce
- 1 large cucumber
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 24 black olives
- 225g feta cheese
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Small bunch fresh oregano
- Prepare the salad by tearing up the leaves of the lettuce and tossing into a large serving bowl
- Peel the cucumber then slice the cucumber in half length ways then remove all of the seeds
- Chop up the cucumber into chunks and add to the lettuce bowl
- Remove the stalks from any of the tomatoes and then slice each one in half and toss into the salad
- Peel the red onion then slice into thin rings and add the and the black olives to the lettuce
- Finally drain away any excess liquid from the feta cheese and cut into cubes and scatter over the top of the salad bowl
- Now take an empty jam jar and place the olive oil, lemon juice and crush garlic into it
- Tear up the fresh oregano leaves and add them to the jar then close the lid and shake well
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad and then serve immediately
Total Calories per serving: 250 calories