A good marinara sauce recipe is something that every good cook should have up their sleeve and this one is not only delicious it is also low enough in calories to be an ideal part of a 5:2 fast day.
A marinara sauce recipe is all about getting the balance of flavours just right to make sure that the sauce is rich enough to be tasty and moreish but not too rich that it becomes over powering.
The real hero in the recipe has to be the tomatoes that you use and you can be as extravagant as you like here or equally you can keep it very simple with some tinned chopped tomatoes from your local supermarket.
I find that it really is much easier to use tinned chopped tomatoes for this marinara sauce recipe as it saves a lot of time and tinned tomatoes have all the goodness still in them.
If you are worried about how the marinara sauce will taste using chopped tinned tomatoes then try to buy the most expensive and best quality brand that there is around in the supermarket as this really will make a difference to the taste.
It is also great if you can use fresh herbs rather than dried ones as this will boost the flavour and help to make your marinara sauce really stand out.
Serve your 5:2 low calorie marinara sauce with pasta, grilled vegetables, on pizza, with seafood or anything else that takes your fancy!
- 1 tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the oil into a pan and heat gently
- Crush the garlic gloves and add to the warmed oil and cook gently until golden
- Add to the pan the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano and season with some salt and pepper
- Stir all of the ingredients together well and then let the sauce come to the boil
- Reduce heat quickly and leave the sauce to simmer while covered for about 15 minutes
- Stir frequently while the sauce reduces until it is a thick and generous consistency
- Remove the sauce from the heat and serve topped with the fresh basil leaves
Total calories per serving: 50 calories