Potatoes are not only a great side dish, they are so filling they also make a wonderful main meal – especially for those who are on a 5:2 fast day and are looking for a filling and delicious meal alternative and my My 5:2 Potatoes Recipe will make you long for a potato meal every day of the week.
I have to admit that I am not often very inventive with my potatoes, I tend to go the traditional route or boiled, roasted or mashed in general but with a little imagination you can create a really delicious dish that can be used to accompany a main meal or as the star of the show itself.
My 5:2 Potatoes Recipe is really quick and simple to make and will leave you wondering why you have never tried to be more inventive with your potatoes in the past!
This 5:2 Potatoes Recipe calls for basic store cupboard ingredients and is packed full of flavour. I like to use a bit of chilli powder in the recipe to give it a bit of a boost but if you are not keen on spicy food or are catering for a big number and are not sure what will go down well then you can always leave this out or add in some of your own favourite spices.
Equally, if you are not a fan of Mango chutney then you can use a tomato chutney instead to give it a different flavour – however by sure to check the calorie content in the tomato chutney in comparison to the mango variety to make sure you are not adding to many extra calories on a fast day.
- 500g new Potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- Prepare the new potatoes by washing them but leave on the skins if they are thin enough
- Cut all the potatoes in half if they are small or into quarters if they are slightly larger
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil
- Add the potatoes to the water and boil for about 15 minutes until they are tender
- As the potatoes are cooking chop the onion into thin slices
- Fry off the onion in a pan for about 3 minutes
- Add to the onions the curry powder and cook for another 2 minutes
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the onion mixture
- Ad in the chopped tomatoes and the curry powder and mix all the ingredients together until the tomatoes are warmed and the onions are evenly spread
- Divide between four as a side dish
Total calories per serving: 157 calories