I love roast chicken. It is one of those super simple dishes that tastes amazing and no matter what time of year it is, there is always a need for it.
In Portugal (like in the UK) you can go to the supermarket and get a ready cooked one and then take it straight home and eat it, but it often comes covered in extra virgin olive oil and no matter how much I try to convince myself, it is really not good for you!
I can never quite decide what my favourite flavouring is of the chicken, but I have a real soft spot for a lemon chicken. It gives it a lovely citrus kick and is just meant to be on my plate. Obviously if you are a good dieter (unlike me) you will give the super tasty skin to someone else!!!!
This version is in the slow cooker, and stay away from the kitchen as I find that the smell of a lemon chicken cooking all day can drive you crazy and it just makes we want to binge from the chocolate tin.
- I Whole Chicken
- 1 White Onion (peeled but not sliced)
- Juice & Zest Of 1 Lemon
- 1Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 2Tsp Dried Thyme
- One Calorie Cooking Spray
- Salt & Pepper
- Place your onion and the remains of the lemon (after zesting and squeezing out juice) in the cavity of the whole chicken.
- Place into the centre of a slow cooker and season with salt & pepper and a few squirts of one calorie cooking spray.
- Put the lemon juice, zest of lemon, parsley and thyme in with the chicken.
- Cover and cook on a low setting for 6-8 hours
- Then serve this with some steamed vegetables and some new potatoes.