I love a good lasagne and its Kyle’s favourite food in the world. Pasta is his favourite food of choice and he is often nagging me to make him a lasagne. It’s not like it’s a two minute cooking experience, though he doesn’t listen to my excuses and I am sure we will be making another one soon.
But lasagne is always on the worst foods list, I would put this down to the amazing cheese sauce, fatty mince and of course those lasagne sheets with all the pasta carb hit.
Either way I am always sold on it.
But if you’re looking for a low calorie version then here is my cheats super tasty beef lasagne.
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 1Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1Tsp Oregano
- 2 White Onions
- 2 Celery Sticks (finely chopped)
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Garlic Cloves (peeled and grated)
- 150g Butternut Squash (peeled and cubed)
- 40g Reduced Fat Mature Cheddar
- ½ Tub Light Soft Cheese
- 75Ml Skimmed Milk
- 400g Tomatoes
- 500g Lean Mince Beef
- Six Lasagne Sheets
- Salt & Pepper
- Steam the butternut squash for 20 minutes (loses its flavour when boiled so avoid that if you can) and then drain any excess water and put to one side.
- Pre heat the oven at 190-200c. In a large pan (I always use my wok) cook the beef, chopped onion, garlic and remaining vegetables.
- Cook for 10 minutes, add butternut squash and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the beef stock (mix a stock cube with half a pint of boiling water), tomatoes, puree & oregano.
- Season well with lots of salt and pepper, then simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the liquid has been cooked out and has a good texture,
- In a separate pan, add your light soft cheese (I always use light Philadelphia) and mix it with the milk and half of the mature cheddar. This will then create a beautiful creamy cheese sauce, but without the high calories of a traditional one.
- Then in an oven dish add the mince mix to the bottom of the pan, then a layer of lasagne, followed by a layer of mince until its full. Then add your cheese sauce mixture to the top.
- I am one for pretty plates so if you want add some sliced tomato and some sprinkled oregano to the top.
- Cook for half an hour or until bubbling and then tuck in!