When it comes to desserts that are made with lots of cream it can be hard to find a low calorie version but for me whenever I see a recipe that calls for cream I just come up with an alternative that is lower in calories but still full of flavour.
Eton mess was a childhood favourite of mine but I have updated it a little to be a little kinder to the waist line!
In this version I use raspberries but there is no reason why you can’t use strawberries or a mixture of the two depending on what is available. If raspberries are not in season then you can always buy a bag of mixed frozen berries and thaw them down to use in this one instead.
As always, individual portions of desserts are the way to go to control your portion size and to remove the temptation to go back for another spoonful which makes this recipe a great choice for anyone who is wanting to treat themselves but without breaking their diet completely!
- 350g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 150ml pot of low fat crème faiche
- 1 fresh lemon
- 250g of raspberries
- Make the merengue mixture by whisking together the egg white with the icing sugar until it forms a firm icing texture
- Use your hands to make golf ball sized balls of the mixture (You should make about 8-10 in total)
- Place the balls two at a time on greaseproof paper and then microwave for about 30 seconds until the ball grows to about four times its original size.
- When all the balls are cooked then crush them up to make the merengue and put this in a large bowl
- Add to the merengue the crème fraiche and stir it in well
- Pour in the raspberries to the mixture and fold them in
- Cut open the lemon and squeeze in the juice of one half, taste and then add more if you like
- Spoon the mixture into four glasses and top with a couple more raspberries
- Dust over the top with some icing sugar and serve immediately
Total calories per serving: 389