This has to be one of my favourite meals. Chicken, red wine and tomatoes altogether are just pure perfection. But as a Slimming World member you are probably worrying about the Syns and even though it does have Syns in it when shared with other people it is a lot less than you would think!
Plus the Syns content is only in the red wine and it adds such amazing flavour its worth every single Syn.
Not every meal has to be fancy to be enjoyable and this one is a great example of how a marinade and some slow cooking can transform simple ingredients into a delicious dish.
This recipe is supposed to serve six people but if you are really hungry and are not having as many sides then it would actually be more suitable for four people.
Try to leave the chicken to marinade for as long as possible and don’t worry about the type of red wine you are using, the marinade is gorgeous whatever you use!
- 1.5kg Chicken Thighs
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 250ml Red Wine
- 2 Leeks
- 2 Tins Tomato
- 1Tsp Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper
- Firstly remove the skin from your chicken thighs, you can ask your butcher to do this for you if you prefer to save some time.
- Make a marinade for the chicken by combining the red wine with 2 of the garlic cloves that you crush into the liquid and rosemary and tarragon.
- Leave the chicken to absorb all of the flavours for a minimum of two hours, or overnight if this is possible.
- Once you are ready to cook, remove the chicken from the marinade and brown off the thighs in a pan – remember to keep the marinade to the side for use later.
- Slice up the leeks and the remaining two cloves of garlic and fry them off in a casserole dish until the y soften up.
- Add in to the casserole dish the chicken that you have already browned and stir well.
- Pour over the passata and some of the marinade for extra flavour and then cook in the oven at 180 for around one and a half hours.
- Remove the dish from the oven and then return it to the hob to reduce down the sauce a little further.
- Once the sauce is as you like it, then remove from the heat and serve.
Syns = 2 Syns Per Portion (4 Portions In Total) On Original Days