Just because you are on a weight loss programme doesn’t mean you can’t indulge your sweet tooth every now and again and this delicious Key Lime Pie Recipe is not only easy to make but it is also low in Syns making it suitable for anyone looking to treat themselves!
As with most recipes that I adapt for weight loss programmes and slimming world diets, this key lime pie recipe is not exactly like one you would make if you were not worried about calories, fat content and syn levels but while it is not your traditional key lime pie recipe it still has a lot to offer and I find that everyone is more than happy when I serve this one up.
The lime flavour in this recipe comes from lime jelly but I add in some real lime zest to give it an extra kick and to make it feel a little more “grown up”. If you are looking to impress with this key lime pie recipe then curl some lime zest and sprinkle it over the top when serving or alternatively simply cut a wedge of lime and place it on the side of the plate.
If you are not a fan of lime then this recipe can also be made in a lemon flavour by simply swapping the lime jelly for lemon jelly and adding in lemon zest instead – you can experiment with other jelly flavours too – orange, strawberry and raspberry would all work well, although you won’t be able to call it a key lime pie anymore!
- 1 packet of sugar free lime jelly
- 4 fresh limes
- 2 tsp powdered gelatine
- 360ml zero fat vanilla yogurt
- 200g zero fat cottage cheese
- 6 tbsp digestive biscuit crumbs
- 6 tbsp artificial sweetener
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Firstly make the base for the pie by spraying a pan with low calorie cooking spray and warming to a low heat
- Add the digestive biscuit crumbs to the pan until they become damp
- Remove the crumbs from the pan and press into a 18cm pie tin. Use the back of a spoon to push the crumbs to the edges and to pack them in well
- Place the base into the fridge until the filling is made
- Prepare the jelly according to the instructions on the packet and add the powdered gelatine and leave to cool
- Take the zest from three of the limes and then juice all four of the limes and leave to one side.
- Pour the cooled jelly (not set) into a food mixer and add in the lime juice and the yogurt.
- Strain the cottage cheese of its juices and add this also to the food mixer with the 6 tbsp of artificial sweetener.
- Blend all the ingredients together well until there are no lumps left and it looks smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the pie base and then sprinkle over the lime zest
- Place the key lime pie back into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours (or overnight if possible)
- Cut the pie into 8 pieces and serve with a wedge of fresh lime on the side
Total syns per serving: 2.5