Chips have a bad reputation for being a food filled with calories, fat and high in salt but it is possible to enjoy a plate of chips while you are on a diet and my Slimming World Sweet Potato Fries recipe with a spicy dip show that you can enjoy a little of what you love while still sticking to a weight loss plan that will give you real results.
When it comes to chips most of us reach for the standard potato to make our own chips at home but a sweet potato is a great and tasty alternative and if you are not a fan of the sweet potato then I can assure you that you will be once you try this super simple sweet potato fries recipe.
To avoid adding unnecessary calories and syns to your portion of these fries then I would suggest making the delicious dip that goes with this sweet potato fries recipe and that way you won’t be tempted to pile on the ketchup or mayonnaise but can still dip your chips until your heart’s content!
If you want to make these sweet potato fries even healthier then cut the potatoes into wedges instead of chips. By making the potatoes have a larger surface area you end up with healthier chips, the French fires shape is the least healthy of all because it leads to more fat being soaked up on all those little chips!
If you do not like spicy food then you can swap out the fresh chilli in the dip and use some chives instead for a milder but equally enjoyable dip for your sweet potato fries.
- 175g (approx.) sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ pink pepper flakes
- 250g fat free plain yogurt
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 fresh red chilli
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Pre heat your oven to 200ºc then prepare your potatoes
- Wash the potatoes and peel them (this is optional depending on your own personal preferences)
- Cut the potatoes into either chunky wedges or into chip shapes and leave in a bowl of water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- In a bowl mix together 50g of the yogurt with the juice of the fresh lemon, the paprika and pepper flakes
- Drain the potatoes and pour over the sauce mixture and toss them to coat them well
- Prepare a baking tray with grease proof paper then place the chips onto it and spray a light layer of low calorie cooking spray over the top of them
- Put the fries into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes (depending on the size of the chips)
- While the fries cook make up the spicy dip by missing together the remaining yogurt with the chopped fresh chilli and sprinkle in some fresh coriander
- When the fries are tender remove them from the oven and divide them between four
- Serve the chips with a dollop of the chilli dip on the side
Total syns per serving: 1/2