I love beef brisket. It was one of the first things I cooked in my slow cooker and makes the ultimate sunday afternoon meal to tuck into, with the whole family. When you buy brisket there is always the opportunity to trim off the fat to make it a much lower calorie meal and within the free food on Slimming World.
You just add syns for the red wine!!!
When I make my beef brisket I also serve it up with some mustard mash and some gravy and it tastes lovely.
Brisket tastes best when it is slow cooked in a casserole dish so that you are turning your beef brisket into a beef pot roast. It takes about 3 hours to cook and the preparation is rather low. Brisket is also a cheaper cut of meat therefore it can work out very cheap if you are wanting to save money but still have a wonderful sunday dinner.
- 5 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 2 Small Onions
- 2cm Cube Ginger
- Fat Free Cooking Spray
- 1.5kg Brisket
- 250ml Red Wine
- 400g Canned Tomatoes
- 200ml Beef Stock
- 4 Sticks Celery
- 6 Medium Carrots
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tsp Chilli
- 3 Tsp Basil
- 3 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Mixed Herbs
- 3 Tsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- Place fat free spray in the pot on a medium heat and heat up the pot.
- Chop up the onions, grate the ginger, grate the garlic. In the pot season the fat free spray with salt and pepper (giving it a seasoned layer) then blast the brisket until it has a lovely crispy top and bottom.
- Take out the brisket and cook the onions, garlic and ginger until golden.
- Pour in the red wine and splash around the edges to stop the food from sticking or burning.
- Add the brisket to the centre. Season well with the chilli, basil, paprika, mixed herbs, oregano and parsley.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and add the stock. I find the best syn free stock is an oxo cube or some bovril mixed with boiling water.
- Chop up the carrots and celery and place around the meat.
- Place the pot in the oven on the lowest setting for four hours. Check on it after two hours and if it has reduced too much add a pint of warm water to it. The slower it cooks the more tender it will become.
- Leave it to rest for 45 minutes and then slice it up and enjoy!
- It can be served as part of a sunday dinner or you could have it in sandwiches.
Original & Extra Easy Just 2.25 Syns Per Portion (Entire Brisket 9 Syns)