Welcome to my super simple BBQ chicken recipe.
Growing up I absolutely hated barbeques and whenever my parents suggested one I would always run in the opposite direction and I couldn’t think of anything worse than BBQ chicken.
At the time I was a vegetarian and hated anything that was done on the BBQ. I was a typical fussy teenager and the slightest hint of my dad putting any colour onto my barbeque food filled me with absolute dread.
Roll on a good 20 years later and I love food cooked on the barbeque. Which is a must considering we live in Portugal and everything is about getting out the BBQ and enjoying some time in the sun. I still run in the opposite direction when my parents suggest them though, because half the time my dad is so merry on his wine, he has burnt the sausages!
This recipe is my low calorie fat burning version of the traditional BBQ chicken and is a must whether you cook it outside or inside.
- 1 Whole Medium Chicken
- 4Tbsp Ketchup
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Chicken Oxo Cube
- 3Tsp Mustard
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1 Large White Onion
- 3 Chillies
- 2Tsps Paprika
- 3Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Chop up and peel the red onion and the garlic. Add to the food processor along with everything apart from the chicken and white onion. Now whiz until smooth.
- Cut shallow slashes into the breasts and thighs of the whole chicken so that they are given the opportunity to breathe.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken, cover or place in a bag and marinate overnight.
- To cook turn the oven to 160C and place the chicken (skin side down) on an oven rack with a pan under to catch the fat. Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking in the oven, start getting your barbecue ready with coals lit so that you’re ready to go!
- After about 40 minutes in the oven the chicken should be cooked through but still a bit pale. Transfer to the barbecue and cook for about 10 minutes on each side for a lovely golden barbeque effect.
- Then it is ready to serve. Serve it with other BBQ foods or with a nice cold pasta salad.