Welcome to my one pot chicken & chorizo rice.
I have had many trips to Spain over the years and love the traditional rice dishes. I would always choose a traditional dish like Paella over an English fry up anytime and couldn’t imagine my holidays without it. Another favourite of mine was to sit outside in the sunshine at a Spanish café and enjoy some tasty tapas.
One of the favourites on the menu was always the chorizo with local Spanish cheese and even now (years later) whenever I see chorizo it reminds me of the Spanish Cafes. And we try to get to them every once in a while and we’re lucky that its only a 1 hour drive away from where we live in Portugal.
Anyway, over to this recipe – it is my one pot chicken and chorizo rice. It is very simple to make and super healthy too with less calories and fat than you would think!
- 300g Chicken Breasts
- 150g Diced Chorizo
- 2Tsp Cajun
- 1 Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1Cm Ginger
- 350g Basmati Rice
- 1 Litre Chicken Stock
- 400g Canned Tomatoes
- 2Tsp Rosemary
- 1Tbsp Oregano
- 1Tbsp Paprika
- 1Tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Do the preparation first – dice the chicken into bite sized pieces, deseed and dice both the peppers, peel and dice the onion and then peel and grate the garlic and ginger.
- Sprinkle the Cajun spice into a sandwich bag. Tip in the chicken and shake well to coat.
- Spray a wok well with one calorie cooking spray and fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Add the diced chorizo and cook for a few minutes, until the oils run. Remove the chicken and chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon, so the oils are left behind leaving the pan coated in the juices.
- Add the onion, garlic and grated ginger to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until they are nicely golden. Now add the rice and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and stir well. Then return the chicken and chorizo to the wok and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 8-9 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid.
- Add the seasoning and cook for a further 5 minutes. Then serve it with some warm crusty bread or with a side salad.